More virtual spaces will have more complex interactions as the metaverse evolves. Consider the following metaverse facts, figures, and statistics.
Nuts and Bolts
- The metaverse is a concept that originated in Neal Stephenson’s 1992 science fiction novel Snow Crash. Additionally, Ernest Cline’s Ready Player One and William Gibson’s Neuromancer contain this passage.
- The term “metaverse” originates from the prefix “meta” (beyond) and the stem “verse” (verse) (universe). The term literally translates as “beyond the universe.”
- NFTs increased by $2.5 billion during the pandemic’s peak.
- Consumer and business interest in the metaverse increased as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- According to one study, the majority of gamers and streamers are not dissimilar to their real-world friends. This implies that individuals prefer online friends who are physically similar to them.
Facts and Figures
- Meta Reality Labs already has a $10 billion investment in the metaverse.
- Meta will also support the creation of 10,000 jobs in the European Union over the next five years.
- The metaverse may be worth $800 billion by 2024 as a result of the pandemic’s surge in interest. This is an increase from $47 billion in 2020.
- Meta recently invested $50 million in non-profit funding organizations to aid in the responsible growth of the metaverse.
- Epic Games raised $1 billion in April 2021 to accelerate the metaverse’s long-term vision.
- Decrentraland secured $24 million in funding in advance of its February 2020 release. Decentraland Games’ casino earned $7.5 million in just three months.
- In 2020, North America accounted for the lion’s share of the global metaverse market.
- By 2024, the global market for augmented reality, virtual reality, and mixed reality will reach approximately $300 billion.
- Numerous prominent technology companies view the metaverse as a once-in-a-generation opportunity to exponentially expand their reach.
- In 2020, 83.7 million Americans will use augmented reality on a monthly basis. By 2023, the service will be used by more than 110 million people.
- In 2020, a US study discovered that while 41% of respondents were uninterested in augmented reality, 21% of respondents aged 18-34 were.
- The property and other NFTs of Decentraland have generated over 75,000 sales totaling more than $25 million.
- In the first quarter of 2021, Roblox surpassed 10 billion hours of playtime. Around 42 million people visit the gaming platform each day.
- Roblox users purchased $652 million worth of Robux, the site’s virtual currency.
Technologies and Devices
- In 2020, hardware dominated the metaverse market.
- In 2024, global shipments of AR/VR devices will total 76.7 million.
- Sales of augmented reality and virtual reality headsets will continue to grow in the coming years, with combined technologies expected to sell over 26 million units annually by 2023.
- By 2024, over 34 million virtual reality headsets will be installed worldwide.
- By 2020, the market for mobile augmented reality will be worth $6.87 billion. According to experts, it will reach $9.53 billion in 2021 and more than $26 billion by 2025.